Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Women in academics

As a female, my ears perk up when I hear studies about women in academics and the workforce. Two things recently caught my attention:

1.
Evidence is showing that women are blowing the socks off of men in North American post-secondary institutions. There are several takes on this. Economist Richard Posner expressed his controversial view the other day.

2.
Here is a random statistic I find impressive: According to the 2006 annual report filed by Dalhousie University's Economics Department, 40% of their permanent full-time faculty members are women. The report claims that this gives Dalhousie “one of the highest, if not the highest, proportional representations of women in a Department of Economics at the university level in North America.” I wonder what the trend is at other universities, particularly in the sciences.

2 comments:

true dough said...

I'd say your figure is pretty consistent with the ratio of females amongst my peers, at a maximum. Dalhousie is surely in a unique position.

true dough said...

I guess my last comment has more meaning if I share the fact that I'm not at the PhD level, and I'm seeing a ratio of aprox 20-25% females amongst my classmates.